How I became less involved with fast fashion

Sunday 14 March 2021

Last time I wrote a post about fast fashion brands I was literally banned from Instagram and had to change the name of the blog lol - but I admit I was a little too harsh. Now that I have learned from my mistake, I decided to write (again) about fast fashion in my personal life and how it has affected me. 



Now if you didn't know by now, fast fashion is a mass-producing fashion industry that sells clothes for inexpensive prices. To name a few fast fashion brands: Pretty Little Thing, Boohoo, Stradivarius, Zara and so on and so on..




Today, I'll be sharing with you how I slowed down myself from buying fast-fashion clothes. Just to clarify myself a little bit more - I didn't stop buying from them. I still sometimes buy from fast fashion brands but I definitely slowed down and now I realize how bad they are for the environment. My goal is to 100% buy sustainable clothing and I am working towards that goal, but it is a long process and I am still learning.

With that being said, let's get onto this post!


RESEARCHING


If you care about the environment (who doesn't?) you should definitely research more about the brands you're buying from. I know that their new clothing line seems really cute, but what is going on behind the curtains? This is something that I have never done until I started my course. I am beyond grateful for starting to see the "real thing" than to keep purchasing and purchasing from brands that aren't sustainable.

CHECKING THE TAGS


No, I do not mean to check the price of a piece of clothing haha. I mean to check from which fabric and textile is the clothing made from. This has helped me a lot in terms of guilt because when I go to the fast-fashion store I don't feel as guilty as I would. I am always checking the tags to see what is it made from. Here are some of the fabrics that are sustainable: organic cotton, hemp, organic linen - anything organic really, or recycled. Just a little thing I researched because I was interested to know if it is sustainable or not - polyester. Now polyester is nowadays used in so much clothes and is not good for the environment at all (it's not biodegradable). I would recommend looking out for polyester because it is proven to be one of the worst fabrics for the environment. 

BUYING SECOND-HAND CLOTHES

Not me wanting to write this paragraph just to flex on my new second-hand white Converse. Anyways... I must admit a huge part of this is thanks to my mum. She has been buying second-hand clothing for at least 10 years now and I loved going to thrift shops with her cause I would always find some boujee brands there. Now that I am in London (and stuck in lockdown) I buy from Depop. I never really used Depop before (I have but the Croatian version of it - MojeKrpice) but I find it really easy to operate and really easy to find what you are looking for. I recently just bought white low Converse that I have wanted for sooo long but didn't want to pay £50 for them so I found one pair for only £6. I feel like this is such a good way for not only being sustainable but to also save a lot of money and even earn some if you decide to sell something you're not wearing anymore.





SUPPORTING SMALL BUSINESSES

This goes without saying. Small businesses are in need of support especially now during the pandemic because they can easily go out of business. I also think that they are more pleasant to talk to rather than to wait for heaven-knows-how-many hours to get in contact with customer support with big brands. Here are some of the small businesses you should follow: Grace Accessories Studio, Shandles, COVA, Sophie Maley, Grings.






Thank you for tuning into this post! Comment down below if you're sustainable in any way and what do you think about this post!


Let's be friends! Add me on Instagram @bruna.haller

See you soon! Stay safe!

Love, Bruna ♡


15 comments

  1. I love that you are experiencing the fashion industry from the inside and that this has prompted you to make some changes in what you are comfortable wearing and supporting.
    I try to wear 100% cotton as much as possible, though this does not always work out in terms of leggings and things. That said, it is a great habit to get into checking tags and seeing what is going into what we are wearing. I also enjoy buying from small business and second-hand. I am basically wearing someone else's story and adding my own to it.
    Thanks for sharing!

    Jaya | www.ninchronicles.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for such a nice comment! I really like how you explained the second-hand clothing in such a fun way!

      Delete
  2. This is one of my biggest goals for 2021 when the shops start reopening (as I need to be able to try on clothes)!

    Katie | katieemmabeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was such an interesting read! I want to stop buying from fast fashion brands too and for now I managed not to buy any clothing and stop from impulsive buying, but I still have to do my research on it, so this was a great start! Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that is so good! The beginnings are always the hardest haha!

      Delete
  4. You ought to basically fantastic not to mention solid advice, which means notice: swimsuits

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can nicely write on similar topics! Welcome to here you'll find out how it should look. swimwear

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it. It is a great website and nice share. I want to thank you. Good job! You guys do a great blog, and have some great contents. Keep up the good work. names of organizations

    ReplyDelete
  7. You’ve got some interesting points in this article. I would have never considered any of these if I didn’t come across this. Thanks!. catchy business name ideas

    ReplyDelete
  8. Below you will understand what is important, the idea provides one of the links with an exciting site: Underwear

    ReplyDelete
  9. To help fashion reach out to the consumers, a large number of professionals are needed. Apart from fashion designing, you can find a number of exciting jobs related to fashion.wolf style clothing

    ReplyDelete
  10. However, most of the fashion movement is all centered around the design and sale of women fashion clothes. cashmere cardigan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Actually, I consider design to be an exceptionally fun approach to look and feel better and an extraordinary way on boosting my certainty. However really pursuing the most stylish trend directions can be somewhat expensive.Emily @ Sew Ways

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fashion architects work constrained to fulfill time constraints and establish a connection with fashion purchasers and other likely customers. As a fashion creator you would require ability and innovativeness as well as toughness and devotion. https://zephyrnet.com/no/drikke-cannabis-de-beste-produktene-for-kaffe-te-brus-mer/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Means a lot.
Love, Bruna ♡